Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Realization

Yesterday was my youngest daughter's birthday, she is now 29! Nothing makes you realize how fast time flies as much as your children's birthdays. First I cannot believe that I have a 29 year old and my eldest will be 31 on December 31st! You look at them and you still see those little tiny faces. You still remember the diaper changes, the sleepless nights, kissing boo-boo's...And, you remember all the mistakes that you made as they were growing up. Some of us make more than others. Sometimes when you think that you have done the right thing it comes back to haunt you when they get older.

I've made my quota of mistakes...I've made over my quota! My daughter and I are working them out now. My mistakes have caused her a great deal of pain and suffering and now, perhaps too late, we are trudging through them and trying to heal. It's going to be a long process. Pain does not heal easily or quickly. But, communication is key. And, yes, we still argue and I still don't quite understand some of it, but I am trying. I'm making changes and that's all that really matters. If you refuse to admit that you have committed errors and refuse to change...then nothing will get better. You have to look at it for what it really is. Don't sugar coat it. Don't make your mistakes excuses. See them for what they really are. That's the only way to make progress. That's the only way to heal.

I hope my daughter realizes all this and I hope that one day soon all the boo-boos will be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment